Broward County Public Schools is honored to receive the Turnaround Arts national program by the the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities (PCAH). Three Broward County Public Schools (Bethune. Lake Forest, and Walker Elementary) are the first in Florida to be selected as Turnaround Arts Schools. Turnaround Arts is based on the premise that high-quality and integrated arts education can strengthen school reform efforts. The program helps to boost academic achievement and increase student engagement. Turnaround National Artists (Cameron Diaz, Carla Dirlikov and John Lloyd Young) support the schools for the length of the program, working with students, schools and communities to highlight their success. Turnaround Arts allow children to experience arts integration in all areas of the curriculum.
Turnaround Arts students will:
- Receive an array of arts education services, resources and materials designed to increase student achievement.
- Learn curriculum developed by master teaching artists from the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts.
- Have an opportunity to attend arts enrichment classes on a daily basis.
- Participate in arts enrichment activities included but not limited to performing at the Broward Center for Performing Arts.
- Receive art supplies, musical instruments and the opportunity to perform in a musical in a performing arts venue.
- Work with a National Artist who will support the school for the length of the project.